Small fires extinguised at home, school

Freedom Newspapers

Clovis Fire Department firefighters extinguished small fires Friday at a Clovis school and residence that caused no injuries, according to officials.

An electrical fire about 11 a.m. at Marshall Junior High School caused by a malfunctioning stove was put out with a fire extinguisher, according to Clovis Fire Department Public Information Officer Karen Burns.

“The panel on the stove that controlled the heat was smoking,” Burns said.

No flames were actually observed, and damage was limited to the cafeteria stove, Burns said.

Firefighters remained at Marshall for about an hour, Burns said.

“Lunch was served on time due to the swift response of the Clovis Fire Department,” Marshall Principal Diana Russell said via e-mail.

The fire department also extinguished a fire at a trailer home at 932 Gammon St. caused by a wood-burning stove, Burns said.

Burns advised residents to follow manufacturer’s recommendations when using wood-burning stoves, making sure no paper or flammable materials are near stoves, chimneys are clean and stoves are installed properly.