By Clarence Plank: PNT staff writer
The Portales Municipal Schools Board of Education on Monday approved the Roosevelt County Youth Resource Team program to help the district on truancy and at-risk youth.
Landon Mayberry, juvenile probation officer for Roosevelt and Curry counties, said the program offers ways for at-risk students to attend classes. As an example, he said in one case, a youth was taken to school so he could take a shower before class started because the water was off at his home.
The issue was tabled twice in past board meetings until further information was presented.
In other business, the board:
• Approved the audit report for 2007-2008
• Approved the canvas of the Feb. 3 School Board Election
• Approved out-of-state travel for the Portales High School Band to Amarillo for the Greater Southwest Music Festival.
• Approved budget adjustments for maintenance, reading materials fund and reallocated funds to match expenditures.
• The board recommended Priscilla Hernandez, assistant superintendent of instruction, for the 2009 Excellence for Student Achievement Award.