Two treated for smoke inhalation in house fire

Two people were treated for smoke inhalation Tuesday during an early morning house fire.

Paramedics administered oxygen to the homeowner and a Portales police officer as treatment.

The Portales Fire Department got the call at 4:22 a.m. to a home at 1312 S. Abilene Street.

The fire started in the bathroom near the ceiling heater fan, according to Battalion Chief Mickey Hargrove.

Hargrove said the fire was contained to the attic. He said there was major damage to the attic and smoke and water damage through out the house.

Hargrove estimated damage at $50,000.