By Clarence Plank: PNT staff writer
Portales Municipal Schools Board of Education honored the Portales High School girls soccer team during its regular meeting on Monday.
The Lady Rams reached state quarterfinals before falling to Sandia Prep 4-0 last week. The board and people attending applauded the achievement of the team making the playoffs for the first time.
Portales Superintendent Randy Fowler said he would like to thank the soccer team for all the hard work they have done for the program.
“The way that they have performed for the task at hand and everything done out on the field, it speaks well of you and your family, and we congratulate you,” Fowler said.
He said the team is in a difficult conference.
“We get letters from time to time about how good our students are,” Board President Alan Garrett said about how team members handle themselves when they play in away games.
In other business, the board:
• Heard Brown Early Childhood Center has an art display in the foyer of the central office.
• Heard teacher Dana Russ and her Lindsey students raised money for first responders injured or sickened from responding to the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.
• Approved a donation of art supplies to the PHS program.
• Approved a $50 donation to a class at Steiner Elementary School.
• Approved budgets adjustments.
• Heard about employee policies that need to be reviewed.
• Approved bills and expenditures.
• Heard Thanksgiving recess is scheduled for Nov. 25-27. All offices will be closed.