Back porch catches fire

PNT Staff Reports

No one was injured when a fire started early Wednesday morning on the back porch of a house undergoing remodeling.

The Portales Fire Department responded to the fire at 1716 S. Main Ave., said Portales Fire Marshal Mike Inge.

“The house has some minimal damage,” Inge said. “The fire got inside the attic.”

Firefighters were able to contain and put out the fire.

Inge said the cause of the fire is still being determined. He said the back porch had no electrical heat source that could have started the fire.

Two trucks and five personnel responded to the call.

“We didn’t calculate the damage, we just turned it back over to the owner,” Inge said.

He said the house was vacant and the owner, Tommy Knight, was remodeling it.