Firefighter: Child responsible for fire

PNT staff report

A fire caused by a child playing with matches burned a shed to the ground Monday, said Portales firefighter Steven Cain.

The shed in the 1500 block of South Roosevelt Road 7 and its contents were a total loss, but there were no injuries or other damage.

Cain said the shed was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived just before 4 p.m. They had the fire under control in seven minutes and remained on the scene for the next hour, he said.

The child admitted to firefighters that he had been playing with matches, Cain said.