No fire found at Portales school

Argen Duncan

Despite a smell of smoke, firefighters found no fire at Brown Early Childhood Center Wednesday morning.

Julie Miller, administrative assistant to the superintendent, said students were moved to the new, kindergarten section of the building to keep them safe and warm.

Fire Chief Gary Nuckols said firefighters were called to the school just after 9 a.m.

The school had lost part of its power, causing an appliance to work too hard and create the smoke smell, Nuckols said. He said an Xcel Energy crew and the school’s electrician crew were starting work on the problem when firefighters left about 10 a.m.

Superintendent Randy Fowler said all students were back with their parents by 11:30 a.m., and power was restored by afternoon.