A 19-year-old Portales man died in a one-vehicle wreck in Roosevelt County Monday night.
Michael Galvan was killed in the wreck, according to the New Mexico State Police.
State Police Capt. Jimmy Glascock said state police were called to the scene of the crash on Roosevelt Road 2 near Roosevelt Road X about 6:30 p.m.
According to Glascock:
• A 2004 Nissan Xterra driven by Raven Rodriquez, 20, of Portales was westbound on Roosevelt Road 2 at a high rate of speed.
• The sport utility vehicle ran a stop sign at the intersection with Roosevelt Road X and hit a rise in the road.
• The driver lost control. The vehicle skidded west, collided with the ditch, continued to skid and came to rest on its right side on the road.
• Galvan, the passenger in the right rear seat, was pronounced dead at the scene.
• A second passenger, Matthew Saiz, 18, of Portales was released from the scene uninjured.
• A female passenger was taken to Roosevelt General Hospital before state police arrived. Glascock didn’t yet have her name or age, but said he believed her injuries weren’t life-threatening.
• The driver had no major injuries.
• Police believe speed could be a contributing factor.
As of 9:40 p.m., the investigation was continuing. Glascock expected to turn the report over to the district attorney’s office for review.