Freedom New Mexico
A Portales man has been charged with burglary and possession of burglary tools.
Shane McNicoll, 31, is charged with residential burglary, a third-degree felony, and possession of burglary tools, a fourth-degree felony.
According to the police report:
• About 12:20 a.m. Thursday, a Portales police officer was dispatched to the 500 block of West 15th Street after a caller reported a subject in the back of the residence. The officer found no one in the area.
• The officer spoke with a neighbor who said he saw a figure behind the house and the resident wasn’t home.
• The officer found the rear door of the residence in question unlocked. When he entered, he saw water on the floor and a wet shoe print.
• The officer found McNicoll lying on the floor between the bed and a wall in a bedroom. McNicoll was wearing cloth work gloves. The officer handcuffed McNicoll, put him in the patrol car and contacted the resident.
• When the resident arrived, he and the officer checked the residence. They found a drawer that had been removed and placed on the floor next to a black backpack.
• The homeowner said the backpack wasn’t his, but he and the officer found silverware, batteries and light bulbs that did belong to him inside it. Those items matched things remaining in the drawer.
• The backpack also contained three sets of keys, a hammer, screwdriver and metal shears the homeowner said weren’t his. The officer found a flashlight set to blue light in McNicoll’s front pocket.
According to Roosevelt County Detention Center, McNicoll was being held without a bond.