The Associated Press
ALBUQUERQUE — The Clovis News Journal on Saturday was awarded the top prize from New Mexico Press Association at its annual Better Newspaper Contest.
CNJ won the general excellence award for the fifth consecutive year — the eighth time in nine years — taking honors for news and sports reporting and advertising initiatives in the classification for small dailies.
The Clovis newspaper staff also won NMPA’s public service and best of show awards. Additionally, The news and advertising staffs at the Portales News-Tribune and Quay County Sun took top awards in their divisions.
The Clovis, Portales and Quay news organizations are all Freedom New Mexico properties.
Staff receiving individual awards:
• Breaking news: CNJ — Sharna Johnson, first; PNT — Argen Duncan, first.
• Series or continuous coverage: PNT — Argen Duncan, second; QCS — Thomas Garcia, second.
• Information graphic: CNJ — Gabriel Monte, first; CNJ — Rick White, second.
• Editorials: CNJ — David Stevens, first.
• Business writing: CNJ — Sharna Johnson, second.
• Sports writing: CNJ Dave Wagner, first.
• Headline writing: CNJ — Rick White, first; PNT — Dianna Hernandez, second.
• General news photo: PNT — Argen Duncan, second.
• Sports photo: CNJ — Tony Bullocks, second.
• Design and typography: PNT staff, first; CNJ staff, second.
• Black and white advertising: CNJ — Franki Baca, first
• Color advertising: PNT — Cathy Tapia, first; PNT — Cathy Tapia, second.
• House advertising: CNJ — Shawn Luscombe, first.
• Shared signature page: CNJ — Cheyanne Bardin, first; PNT — Shawn Luscombe and Franki Baca, first; QCS — Cheyanne Bardin, first; CNJ — Shawn Luscombe and Franki Baca, second.