Freedom New Mexico
ENMU (13-10, 6-8 Lone Star Conference)
at Tarleton State (21-3, 12-2)
• When: 7 p.m. (MST) today at Stephenville, Texas.
• Radio: KSEL-FM 105.9.
• Last time out: The Greyhounds lost on Saturday at Abilene Christian 79-68. The fifth-ranked Texans lost at No. 9 Midwestern State 80-75 in three overtimes on Monday, falling behind the Mustangs (21-2, 14-2) and out of the LSC lead.
• Last meeting: TSU edged ENMU 55-52 at Portales on Jan. 4, the Hounds’ only home loss this season (8-1).
• Of note: The injury-riddled Hounds face a monumental task in this one. They have four players still out with injury, and on Monday coach Andrew Helton suspended senior G Reggie Nelson, the team’s scoring leader (16.2 ppg), for two games for “a violation of team policy.” Nelson will miss Saturday’s home game against Texas A&M-Commerce and be eligible to return a week from tonight at home against Cameron. “He just made a mistake and he’s got to pay the consequences,” Helton said. “We’ll just have to weather through this.” … Helton said he hopes ENMU, which will have eight players in uniform tonight, can get some of its walking wounded back for Saturday’s game. … This is a big week for Tarleton, which visits third-place West Texas A&M (15-6, 9-5) on Saturday. … The Texans are 16-1 at home, with the only loss coming in November to Washburn (61-57). … Tarleton has actually lost two of three, falling at Incarnate Word 62-51 on Feb. 4. … Leading scorers for TSU are 6-1 senior G Chris Harrell (13.0 ppg), 6-7 senior F/C Fabian Wilson (12.0) and 6-0 senior G Shedrick Haynes (10.8). Wilson also grabs seven rebounds per contest.
ENMU (8-14, 6-10 Lone Star Conference)
at Tarleton State (18-6, 15-1)
• When: 5 p.m. (MST) today at Stephenville, Texas.
• Radio: KSEL-AM 1450.
• Last time out: The Zias dropped a 74-61 decision at Abilene Christian on Saturday. The TexAnns moved 1 1/2 games ahead of second-place Midwestern State (18-5,14-3) with a 66-61 win over the Mustangs on Monday night at Wichita Falls, Texas.
• Last meeting: Tarleton survived a school record-tying 40-point outburst by ENMU senior G Kiara Tate to win 78-70 on Jan. 4 at Greyhound Arena.
• Of note: Tarleton has played well at home (10-1) and on the road (8-2), but not on neutral courts (0-3). … The TexAnns’ lone setback at home came in November, an 87-84 decision to Lubbock Christian. Tonight’s game is their only home outing over a six-game stretch. … The TexAnns have won 16 of 17 after a 2-5 start. Their only loss in that time was a 55-48 decision at Texas Woman’s last Wednesday. … Sisters Shelby and Peyton Adamson lead TSU in scoring. Shelby, a 5-7 senior G, averages 14 ppg and also leads the team with 120 assists and 44 steals while Peyton, a 5-7 sophomore G, is at 13.7 ppg. TSU also gets 12.3 ppg and 9.6 rpg from 6-1 sophomore P Kiara Wright.
— Compiled by Dave Wagner