At a special meeting for the Portales Municipal Schools Board of Education Monday in the Administration Building, board members:
- Approved out-of-state travel.
PJHS Destination Imagination team will travel to Knoxville, Tenn., to compete in the Globals competition.
PHS seniors and juniors will travel to Lubbock for their senior/junior trip.
- Approved the application for the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act-Basic (IDEA-B).
The application is sent to state government to approve the district's program for students with disabilities.
- Approved the 2012-2013 bilingual application.
The application is submitted to state government to approve the district's program for bilingual students and parents.
- Approved Title III application for 2012-2013 school year.
Director of Federal Programs Henry Montano said the Title III grant gives the district $13,500 for supplemental materials for the bilingual program.
- Approved the Portales schools special student services policies and procedures manual.
- Approved budget adjustment requests.
- Heard a presentation concerning the tentative budget for the 2012-2013 school year.
Business Manager Sarah Marquez said there was a 0.25 percent decrease in the total operational budget for the 2011-2012 school year with the total operational budget being $22.6 million.
She said the total operational budget for the 2012-2013 school year is estimated to be $22.4 million.
Direct instruction, which includes supplies and materials and salaries and benefits is more than 61 percent of the budget.
There will be a 7.5 percent increase in retirement pay, which will increase take-home pay to 1.75 percent.
Employees will have to pay $19 more in retiree health care benefits, which will cause a .083 percent decrease to take-home pay.
Marquez said there will be no raises in the 2012-2013 school year but she hopes for some the following year.
— Compiled by PNT staff writer Alisa Boswell