At a Portales Municipal Schools Board of Education meeting Monday in the Administration Building, board members:
- Announced Portales Junior High athletic coach John Chavez was awarded the 2012 Excellence for Student Achievement Award.
- Approved donations.
Portales MainStreet donated $120 to the high school digital media program; Wal-Mart donated a five-disk stereo to Brown Early Childhood Center; and Col. David Piech, of the 27th Special Operations Mission Support Group, and Portales resident, donated playground equipment to Brown.
- Approved a resolution declaring certain school assets obsolete.
- Approved Title I and II federal program applications.
- Approved budget adjustments.
- Rejected a bid for an outdoor sign for Portales High School.
The bid was $30,000 higher than expected, according to Superintendent Randy Fowler.