Editor’s Election Day blog: Ashley close to winning county seat

Tim Ashley seems to be closing in on a Curry County Commission seat. Officials say Ashley is leading Paul D. Barnes, 1,660 votes to 1,540, with about 200 votes to be counted. Debbie Spriggs will be the county's new treasurer and Rose Riley will be the county clerk. • • Fox News is projecting President […]

Climbing fuel prices contribute to sales drop

Fuel sales at the Portales Municipal Airport dropped 24 percent in September compared to five years ago. "The start of this year was horrendous," said airport general services Director Mike Parkey. "October through March was the slowest I've ever seen it." In September 2007, 2,610 gallons of fuel were sold and that number has gradually […]

City Council Meetings Watch – Nov. 6

The following items will be on the Portales City Council's meeting agenda today at 7 p.m.: An update on the U.S. 70 construction project. An interagency agreement with Eastern Plains Council of Governments on behalf of the Local Growth Management Committee in connection with the grant agreement with the Office of Economic Adjustment. Discussion and […]

Councilor: Logos on water tower too pricey

Portales City Councilor Michael Lucero says he just can't justify spending $35,000 to paint the school logos of Eastern New Mexico University and Portales High School on the town's water towers to his constituents. City Councilor Keith Thomas said $35,000 was the worst-case scenario cost and although he wants the city's support behind the project, […]

Elida School News – Nov. 6

Sports: Saturday: Elida hosts the district volleyball tournament championship match. Yearbook The 2012 Elida Tiger yearbook received two awards for its publication. The awards were a silver medal awarded by The Columbia Scholastic Press Association and The Gallery of Excellence by Walsworth Publishing. School award: Elida High School was awarded the New Mexico Athletics Association […]

Portales High School News – Nov. 6

Manners parade upcoming: Portales High School Day Care and Child Development students participated in their annual "Please and Thank You Parade for the PHS Child Care Center children. It was held Oct. 31 during third period. The children visited classrooms escorted by high school students and trick or treated for a healthy snack or treat. […]

Dora School News – Nov. 6

Progress reports: Progress reports will be issued today to students to take home to their parents. The reports will show academic progress the first three weeks of the second grading period. PTSO: David Absher, president of the Dora Parent-Teacher-Student Organization, will have the monthly meeting in the school library on Wednesday at 4:15 p.m. Members […]

Portales polling places combined for convenience

Roosevelt County Clerk Janet Collins has been busy preparing for today's election. "We're very, well prepared, we've done everything we can do without knowing how many people will show up. Our workers are trained and everything's ready to go," Collins said. This is the first year Roosevelt County has used voting convenience centers for a […]

Police Blotter – Nov. 6

Portales police, sheriff and fire call logs: Friday 2:30 p.m.: Caller reported an accident, 200 block North Chicago. 3:06 p.m.: Caller reported possible fraud, 1300 block South Avenue F. 3:57 p.m.: Caller requested to speak to an officer about a civil issue, 200 block New Mexico Drive. 4:14 p.m.: Caller reported a missing juvenile, 300 […]

New truancy program initiated

According to Portales High assistant principal Arturo Ontiveros, 91 percent of the high school's students are in attendance on a regular basis. The other 9 percent are students with five or more unexcused absences for the school year. "If we can increase that (91 percent) by four to five percentage points, that would be great," […]