• Curry County commissioners met in special session Friday and took the following action:
• Approved a canvass of ballots cast in a special $9.88 million jail bond issue election that failed, 1,491 to 741.
• Postponed action for a second time on a vehicle seizure ordinance until Sept. 4. The ordinance would allow the county to confiscate vehicles driven by anyone facing a second charge of driving under the influence. Several commissioners have issues with the language of the ordinance and have asked a committee that includes the sheriff and county attorney to come up with a more acceptable law.
• Agreed to send Commissioner Tim Ashley to Littlefield, Texas, later this month to explore possibilities of sending maximum and medium security jail inmates to a private facility in that city.
• Agreed with County Manager Lance Pyle to begin advertising next week for a jail administrator. Former Administrator Gerry Billy was fired in January and Interim Administrator Tori Sandoval has filled in while the bond issue was pending.
— Compiled by CMI projects editor Robin Fornoff