Six-man District 1
• 2012 record: 4-4
• Coach: Bobby Gomez, (2nd year, 4-4)
• Last playoff appearance: 2012, lost to Hondo 105-90 in state quarterfinals.
• Returning starters (offense): 4
• Returning starters (defense): 4
• Top returning players: Dylan Bryant, Jr. FB/RB; Ryan Bone, So., QB/WR; Gage Conway, Jr., DL
• Top newcomers: D.C. Lee, Fr., WR/DL; Joseph Benavides, FR., QB/S, Zack Starbuck, Sr., C/DL; Adrian Lunsford, So.. DL/WR
• Possible breakout player: Bone. “We’re looking at him to be a leader and big playmaker on offense and defense,” Gomez said.
• Lunchpail guy: Bryant. “He’s a workhorse. He’s been working hard all summer. Gets to the weight room at six every morning, Gomez said.
• Biggest early-season test: Defending state champion Lake Arthur Oct. 18. “They got a lot of returners and didn’t lose many games last year,” Gomez said.
• Keys to 2013 season: The defense needs to step up and stop the ball. On offense, run the ball, control the clock, keep it on the ground and get the first-downs.
• Coach’s take: “We’ve got 15 boys on the roster. They want to make the playoffs. They’re big in heart and are really working hard.”
— Compiled by Steve Hansen
Name Yr. Pos.
Joseph Benavides Fr., QB/S
Dylan Bryant Jr. RB/DL
Jory Byrd Jr. QB/DB
Gage Conway Jr. OL/DL
Daniel Edwards Fr. OL/DL
Josh Harrell Sr. DB/DE
D.C. Lee Fr. WR/DL
Adrian Lunsford So. WR/DL
Jordan Provencia So. C/DL
Ryan Bone So. OB/WR/S
Christian Rodriguez Fr. DL
Zack Starbuck Sr. C
Jacob Thurman 8th DB
Carl Webb Sr. QB/DB
Lucas Whitehead 8th OL/DL
August: 30 — at Vaughn, 4 p.m.,
September: 6 — Hondo, 4 p.m.; 13 — at Roy, 6 p.m.; 21 — vs. Animas (at Carrizozo), 2 p.m.; 27 — NMSD, 3:30 p.m.
October: 4 — Floyd, 3 p.m.; 18 — Lake Arthur, 3 p.m.; 25 — Dora, 3 p.m.