8-man District 1
• 2012 record: 8-4
• Coach: Kene Terry (third year, 10-13).
• Last playoff appearance: 2012, lost to Tatum in semifinals 28-24.
• Returning starters (offense): 4
• Returning starters (defense): 4
• Top returning players: Wesley Gudgell, Jr. , WR/CB/LB; Tyler Mehl, Sr., DB/RB; Wyatt Strand, Jr., QB/WR/S; Christopher Roberts, Sr., C/DE.
• Top newcomers: Larramy Roberts, Jr., RB/CB; Trey Daniels, Jr., G/DE/TE; Brinton Roach, So., LB/RB/QB.
• Possible breakout player: Daniels; Terry believes that Daniels is going to shine on defense as one of their defensive ends because he is strong and executes everything the right way with sound fundamentals.
• Lunchpail guy: Jesse Sanchez. He has not played for a few years though he is coming along well, Terry said. “This kid is tough and plays with a lot of heart, which all Longhorns have done throughout the years,” Terry said.
• Biggest early-season test: The season opener Friday at Tatum. A rematch of the 2012 semifinals matchup.
• Coach’s take: “Our main thing is to get the new guys adjusted to the system throughout the year and work them into condition so we will have a chance come district. We are always competitive in district.”
Compiled by Thomas Garcia
No. Name Yr. Pos.
n/a Jerome Earle Fr. LB/DE
n/a Jesse Sanchez Jr. C/DL
n/a Riley Bruhn Fr. OL/DL
n/a Scott Earle So. C/OL
n/a Skyler Murray Jr. n/a
11 Wesley Gudgell Sr. WR/CB/LB
13 Tyler Meh Sr. DB/RB
22 Wyatt Strand Jr. QB/WR/S
40 Bronc Horn So. RB/DB
44 Larramy Roberts Jr. RB/CB
45 Christopher Roberts Sr. C/DE
52 Trey Daniels Jr. G/DE/TE
55 Brinton Roach So. LB/RB/QB
77 Jared Lubera So. WR/S
80 Ryan Bruhn So. TE/DE
82 Jason Lucero Jr. RB/TE
87 Michael Estrada So. WR/DB/QB
August: 30 — at Tatum, 7 p.m.
September: 6 — Carrizozo 7p.m.; 13 — at Alamo Navajo. 1 p.m.; 27 — at Melrose/Clovis Christian, 7 p.m.
October: 4 — Mountainair, 7 p.m.; 11 — Gateway Crhistian,7 p.m.-; 18 — Menaul , 7 p.m.-x; 25 —Springer, 7 p.m.-x;
November: 1 — at Foothill, 1 p.m.-x.
x-denotes district games