Portales Schools Board of Education
The following took place at the Portales schools Board of Education meeting Monday night:
• The board passed a resolution to support the construction of a new stadium in Portales for Eastern New Mexico University and Portales athletic events.
• The board approved out-of-state travel for the PHS boys basketball team to play in Friona, Texas, on Dec. 17.
• The board accepted five gifts and donations.
First Financial Credit Union donated school supplies.
Wal-Mart in Portales donated 400 small plastic footballs.
Brian Kirchner donated $25 to the Portales High School tennis program.
Larry Banda of Tacos el Padrino pledged to donate $1 for every $10 he sells from his food truck.
True Value donated $100 to be used to help the Special Education Department in honor of Virginia Smith.
• The board approved the 2013-2014 contract for the GRADS program and its child care component.
• Superintendent Johnnie Cain gave a personnel report.
Cain said there were five new hires and four resignations in the district.
• During the superintendent’s report, Cain said he is looking into the addition of virtual school for students who receive long-term suspensions from school so that they stay on track with graduation.
• The board voted to reschedule its next board meeting for Oct. 21 because the original meeting scheduled falls on Columbus Day.
— Compiled by PNT senior writer Christina Calloway