Roosevelt County students are set to compete for the title of champion speller in the annual Roosevelt County spelling bee scheduled for 1 p.m. Friday at Eastern New Mexico University’s Buchanan Hall in the Music Building, according to a press release.
The junior competition, open to students in grades 5 and lower, will be held first. It will be followed by the senior bee, open to students in grades 6-8, as well as the winner and runner-up of the junior bee, should they opt to compete.
Friday’s senior division champion will represent Roosevelt County in the New Mexico State Spelling Bee on March 22 at Sandia Prep School in Albuquerque.
Students who qualified to compete in the junior division:
• Marcus Bergholtz, Valencia Elementary
• Evan Carbajal, Valencia Elementary
• Taylor Freed, Dora
• Donovan Garcia, Lindsey-Steiner Elementary
• Alyssa Haime, Valencia Elementary
• Reyna Rodriguez, Valencia Elementary
• Brie Russ, Lindsey-Steiner Elementary
• Eric Terry, Floyd
• Salma Tovar, Floyd
• Austin Wall, Dora
Students who qualified to compete in the senior division:
• Jessalyn Beatty, Dora
• Jarrett East, Floyd
• Calista Garcia, Portales Junior High
• Marisela Garcia, Lindsey-Steiner Elementary
• Julian Jimenez, Floyd
• Riley Lujan, Lindsey-Steiner Elementary
• Cristian Martinez, Portales Junior High
• Alyssa McAlister, Dora