Senior Isaiah Samoei is scheduled to represent Eastern New Mexico University in the 10,000 and 5,000-meter runs at the NCAA Division II national outdoor track meet, beginning today in Allendale, Mich.
Samoei, from Eldoret, Kenya, is the ENMU record-holder in both events, having run a time of 29 minutes, 18.38 seconds in the 10,000 at the Stanford Invitational and 14.04.92 at the Mt. Sac Relays in California earlier this season.
Samoei is ranked fourth in the 10,000, and the top five Division II times were all run in the Stanford meet. He is also ranked fourth in the 5,000, and 17 of the top 27 D-II times were recorded at the Mt. Sac Relays. He won the Lone Star Conference championship in the 5,000 earlier this month.
Samoei will compete in the 10,000 at 6:10 p.m. (MDT) tonight and in the 5,000 at 6:05 p.m. (MDT) on Saturday.
At ENMU, Samoei has compiled six track and two cross country titles in LSC competition, and has been awarded Division II All-American honors twice in track.
NCAA Division II track meet
Top five 5,000 times, according to heat sheet
• Johnnie Guy, Southern Indiana, 14:01.11
• Michael Biwott, American International, 14:02.02
• Aaron Dinzeo, California (Pa.) 14:04.49
• Isaiah Samoei, Eastern New Mexico 14:04.92
• Jovanny Godinez, Adams State, 14:07.63
Top five 10,000 times, according to heat sheet
• Aaron Dinzeo, California (Pa.), 28:40.88
• Isaac Chavez, Chico State, 28:56.19
• Jovanny Godinez, Adams State, 29:15.00
• Isaiah Samoei, Eastern New Mexico, 29:19.38
• Eric Schott, Missouri Southern, 29:39.10