A pug found suffering from chemical burns in Clovis has received eye surgery, according to Lindsay Campbell, vice president of Colorado Pug Rescue.
Campbell said that the Colorado Rescue received the 2-year-old pug Saturday and had to take it in for emergency surgery Sunday after ulcers in the dog’s eyes ruptured.
Campbell said the pug had two conjunctival eye grafts performed at the VRCC Veterinary Specialty & Emergency Hospital in Englewood, Colorado.
The pug is expected to regain eyesight in both eyes said Campbell.
The pug, which has since been named Clovis, is doing well after the surgery, but will have to wait eight to 10 days to make sure the grafts take, according to Campbell.
“Early signs show that the grafts have taken.” Campbell said.
Campbell said that Clovis is also being treated for a bacterial infection in his burn wounds and is expected to make a full recovery in one to two months.
“People have been so generous,” said Campbell, “it goes to show how everyone has been touched by his story.”
Campbell said the Colorado Pug Rescue has had many inquiries on Clovis’ adoption status but said the rescue won’t start looking at applications until he has made a full recovery.
Clovis was found July 22 near the Prince Street overpass and taken to Cindy’s Hope for Precious Paws Animal Rescue in Clovis where Precious Paws founder Cindy Clayton cared for him until he could be transported to Colorado for surgery.
The dog, which Clayton named Frank, had chemical burns on its neck, head, eyes, and in its left ear. No suspects have been identified, she said.
Clovis’ is the second case of a dog with chemical burns in New Mexico this summer.
A 1-year-old dog that appeared to have been doused in acid was found in Lovington earlier in July.
Colorado Pug Rescue is still taking donations for Clovis in an effort to pay for his surgery and medication.
Donations for Clovis can be made at the Colorado Pug Rescue donation page: http://copugrescue.org/help-the-pugs/donate/