by Sheryl Borden: Creative Living Information on decorating cakes with fondant icing, Syndrome X and restoring yard sale relics will be the featured topics on “Creative Living” at noon Tuesday and 2 p.m. Saturday.Nancy Siler is vice president of consumer affairs with Wilton Enterprises, and she will demonstrate how to use fondant icing to decorate […]
Smith Tamryn Eliana was born
• PHS is closed Monday for President’s Day. Classes resume Tuesday. • College Goal Sunday will be hosted at Portales High School on Sunday from 1 p.m. until 3 p.m. in the Portales High School/PMSD District Computer Lab.
Britain-Riley Ricky and Sherrie Britain of Roswell announce the engagement and approaching marriage of their daughter, Kayla JoAnn Britain, of Clovis, to Cage Win Riley, of Clovis, son of Russell and Elainea Riley of Melrose. The couple will exchange vows March 28, 2009, at Parkland Baptist Church in Clovis. A reception will follow at St. […]
Altrusa International Altrusa Int’l. Inc. of Portales met Feb. 9 in the Sandia Room at ENMU. In the absence of president, Vice President Nancy Legleiter presided over the business meeting and conducted the opening ceremonies. Secret pals were thanked. The minutes from the previous meeting were approved. There were 28 members and one guest present. […]
• PJHS will close Monday for the President’s Day holiday. • Shareen King and Patricia Correll’s Mathematics, Engineering, and Science Achievement students headed to Roswell for the New Mexico MESA SE Regional Winter Design competitions Feb. 6. Team members Bailey Thompson-Garcia, Amy Carter, Bryan Gore, Isaac Brown, Josh Beres, Alex Gill, Rigo De la Torre, […]
• Friday JV and varsity teams play at Floyd, 4 p.m. (1 gym) • District basketball tourney is Feb. 21-28. • The photographer from LifeTouch will be here on Monday to take individual student and class photos.
• Feb. 17 Ft. Sumner at Elida 4:00 JV boys, Varsity girls, boys • Feb. 23-28, District tournament,
Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs. Welcome to Patricia Briggs’ world, a place where “witches, vampires, werewolves, and shapeshifters live beside ordinary people”.
Sports • Tuesday — Dora JV and Varsity host Eunice at 4 pm (2 gyms) • Friday — Dora Jr High white & red, JV, and Varsity teams host Fort Sumner at 3 pm (2 gyms) • Saturday — Dora JV girls & Varsity girls play at Jal, 2 pm (1 gym) BPA fundraiser Sponsor […]
Ortega Freddie and Julia Ortega of Portales celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary on Feb. 8 at their home. The celebration was hosted by their son, David Ortega, and daughter, Annette Cavazos. The couple was married Feb. 7, 1959, in Portales. They have two children and four grandchildren. He is a retired Civil Service employee at […]
College goal Sunday College Goal Sunday will be hosted at Portales High School on 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 22 in the Portales High School/PMSD District Computer Lab. College Goal Sunday provides financial aid application assistance to help ensure New Mexico students overcome barriers to college affordability Representatives from the Eastern New Mexico University […]
• Students from Elida Elementary School competed in the county Spelling Bee, which was held Jan. 31.
Buddy pictures WednesdayYearbook sponsor Jon Birdsong reminds students that Life Touch Studios will be here Wednesday to take buddy pictures.
Feb. 12 marks the 200th anniversary of the birthday of our 16th president, Abraham Lincoln. To celebrate, the Portales Public Library recommends the following children’s books: Abe Lincoln Crosses a Creek: A Tall Thin Tale (Introducing His Forgotten Frontier Friend) by Deborah Hopkinson, pictures by John Hendrix. In this boisterous tale, Hopkinson and Hendrix introduce […]
Vigil/Ornelas Kathy Vigil of Portales announces the engagement and approaching marriage of her daughter, Amanda Vigil of Portales, to Ricky Ornelas, of Portales. He is the son of Janice and Ricky Ornelas Sr., both of Portales. The couple will exchange vows at 5 p.m. Feb. 14, 2009, at Calvary Baptist Church. The reception will be […]
By Sheryl Borden: Creative Living Information on using organic sweeteners in recipes and making a professional Roman Shade will be the featured topics on “Creative Living” at noon Tuesday and at 2 p.m Saturday. Marie Oser is the spokesperson for Wholesome Sweeteners Inc. in Sugar Land, Texas, and she will demonstrate using various organic sweeteners […]
By Sheryl Borden: PNT columnist Information on making a gingerbread cookie box, a discussion about speech styles, and preparing gluten-free breakfast recipes will be the featured topics on “Creative Living” at noon Tuesday and at 2 p.m. Saturday. Nancy Siler, of Wilton Enterprises in Woodridge, Ill., will talk about using gingerbread cookie dough and show […]