At the Portales City Council meeting Tuesday in the council chambers at city hall, councilors:
• Approved the ratification of the finance department’s actions regarding bills for September 2011.
• Approved authorizing the city manager to negotiate a professional services contract and the mayor to execute a resultant contract for professional services for Regional Growth Planner with Local Growth Management Concurrence.
• Approved a resolution authorizing mayor to execute an application for airport aid and a resulting grant agreement for airport aid with the New Mexico Department of Transportation, Aviation Division.
• Approved the renewal of a lease agreement between the City of Portales and Nino Ortega.
• Approved the annual renewal of the non-exclusive use agreement with Portales Bowhunters Club.
• Heard other business.
Mayor Sharon King mentioned a ceremony honoring firefighters at 11 a.m. Saturday at center court, the shopping center on the corner of South Avenue D and 18th Street.
Police Chief Jeff Gill said the police department began taking names of families for the Santa Cop program this week.
Councilor Gary Watkins said a public works meeting is being held at noon today in the council chambers.
City Manager Tom Howell said he is looking into the traffic issue at James Elementary.
— Compiled by PNT staff writer Alisa Boswell