New Mexico’s primary elections are June 1. KENNER CARRASCO is a Republican candidate for Roosevelt County tax assessor. He’s running against TEX BELCHER.
Here’s what Carrasco had to say when we asked about his qualifications for the job:
“I have lived most of my life in Roosevelt County and I have spent the last 8 1/2 years working as an appraiser for the Roosevelt County Tax Assessor’s Office.
“I am running for this office because I believe there can be improvements made, starting with better representation for property-owning taxpayers.
“Five major issues of concern:
• “Communication needs to be improved between New Mexico Property Tax Division, the Roosevelt County Commission and the county administration office.
• “Technology should be updated to meet the recommendations from the New Mexico Property Tax Division, and give our appraisers the tools they need to input and access information from the field.
• “Everyone in the office needs to be certified, as I am, through the International Association of Assessing Officers
• “Residents need better channels to appeal property tax values.
• “I believe with proper tools and education, the office could be run with a smaller staff.
“I am a taxpayer and property owner myself, and I will do my best to represent the taxpayers of Roosevelt County and make sure that tax increases are held to a minimum.
“For more information, call me at 799-9645.”