Renovations complete

1200025664-111enmubookstoreweb.jpg

By Mickey Winfield: PNT Staff Writer Students and faculty returning to Eastern New Mexico University for the spring semester will find a new look to their campus bookstore — and the online system, which took some hits last semester seems to be up-and-running with no hitches. The bookstore renovation began in November, most of the […]

October 11, 1988

• The Portales Fire Department responded to a house fire on North Avenue K. It was believed the fire was caused by a gas dryer malfunction. The fire gutted the laundry room and caused extensive smoke damage throughout the home. It was estimated that the fire caused $10,000 worth of damage. No one was injured […]

July 27, 1960

• Vic Stockard and Vernon Gibson were re-elected to serve on the Portales Valley Sweet Potato Association board of directors during the annual grower’s meeting. During the meeting, it was reported that 920 acres of sweet potatoes had been planted in Roosevelt County. • Slater Bros. Home and Auto Supply advertised 3-T Nylon all weather […]

Smokey Bear signs utilized to inform public of fire danger

By Casey Peacock: PNT Staff Writer As residents and visitors leave Portales via N.M. 206, N.M. 467 or U.S. 70, they will be seeing some new signs that are common in mountainous areas, but new to the Portales region. The brown and yellow signs show a picture of Smokey Bear with his shovel. An interchangeable […]

Small fires extinguised at home, school

Freedom Newspapers Clovis Fire Department firefighters extinguished small fires Friday at a Clovis school and residence that caused no injuries, according to officials. An electrical fire about 11 a.m. at Marshall Junior High School caused by a malfunctioning stove was put out with a fire extinguisher, according to Clovis Fire Department Public Information Officer Karen […]