By Kevin Wilson Pete Domenici’s been serving New Mexico for four decades, and I hope one of his greatest acts of service doesn’t go ignored. Domenici, who is leaving the Senate due to health reasons, made an address to what is the final state Legislature of his Senate career. The longtime Republican spoke not of [...]
Steven Cain, Chuck Haman and Chief John Bridges of the Portales Fire Department try some of the home-baked items presented to them Tuesday. The items were baked by Portales High School junior and senior girls for both the fire department and the police department. According to PHS Secretary Corrine Gonzales, the project was a way [...]
• During the Portales School Board meeting, it was announced that John P. Steiner fifth grade teacher John C Phelps had resigned. Phelps had been accepted for a position with the Border Patrol and was to report to Las Cruces for duty the following week. • Crowning of the queen, a bonfire and pep rally signaled [...]
• A group representing the Roosevelt County Chamber of Commerce met with Gov. John Burroughs in an effort to designate Taylor’s Grove as a state park. • A three pound carton of Mrs. Tuckers shortening was on sale for 55 cents at Franks University Food Market.
• Thirteen downtown businesses were preparing for a joint half-day sale that would be held from noon to 8 p.m. The merchants were offering summer clearance specials and bargains on selected merchandise. • John Wayne and Lauren Bacall starred in The Shootist, the featured showing at the Varsity Drive-In Theatre. • A Rinsenvac professional do-it-yourself [...]
• Bronco Billy, starring Clint Eastwood and Urban Cowboy, starring John Travolta, were both showing at the Tower Twin. • In junior league girls softball, the Blue Jays defeated the Bobcats 21- 9 at Morrison Field. • A 19 ounce package of Oreo cookies was on sale at Gibson’s Discount Center for 99 cents.
Freedom Newspapers Today marks 50 years since Clovis Air Force Base became Cannon, named in honor of the late Gen. John K. Cannon. Cannon served as commander of Tactical Air Command after a lengthy career that extended through World War II and up to his death in 1955. Gen. John K. Cannon Born: 1892, Salt [...]
• Gov. John Burroughs received 2,399 votes in Roosevelt County during the Democratic Primary election, while his opponents Joe Bursey received 1,476 and Tom Holland received 146 votes. • Miss June Hahn was chosen as Girl of the Month by the North Portales 4-H Club. • The Thursday Drive-in special at Mac’s was a ham [...]
Freedom Newspapers More than 20 R&B, hip-hop, rap and Latin artists will perform tonight at the Clovis Civic Center. According to event organizer Joe Sena, the concert will benefit those affected by the March 23 tornado. “All the money raised will go to Food Bank of Eastern New Mexico or the Lighthouse Mission,” Sena said. [...]