House fire ruled arson

PNT staff A house fire on Thursday at 1205 W. Ivy in Portales has been ruled arson, according to Investigator William Farmer of the State Fire Marshal’s Division. Farmer said the investigation is ongoing, and could not release any more information. He said the State Fire Marshal’s Division will release an official statement next week.

Fire departments to use grants for water tanks

l11pc4-l11pbo416firedeptweb.jpg

By Argen Duncan: PNT Senior Writer Two Roosevelt County fire departments have received grants allowing them to provide better service while lowering home insurance premiums for residents. Floyd and Arch fire departments learned Monday they were chosen to receive $100,000 each through the state Fire Marshal’s Office Grant Council. The money is earmarked for water […]

Back porch catches fire

PNT Staff Reports No one was injured when a fire started early Wednesday morning on the back porch of a house undergoing remodeling. The Portales Fire Department responded to the fire at 1716 S. Main Ave., said Portales Fire Marshal Mike Inge. “The house has some minimal damage,” Inge said. “The fire got inside the […]

Police wait for fire marshal report to determine cause of fire

The cause of a fire that gutted Trader Horn’s True Value Hardware warehouse and Dollar General store could be determined within a couple of days, according to Portales Police Capt. Lonnie Berry. “We’re still waiting on a report from the Fire Marshall,” Berry said. “I talked to the fire chief, so something maybe coming in […]

Portales seeks outside investigators’ help on local fires

By Sharna Johnson: CNJ staff writer The State Fire Marshal’s Division is investigating three commercial fires in Portales that occurred over a 10-day period at the request of local authorities. The latest was Sunday afternoon at Portales Valley Mills. Portales Police Capt. Lonnie Berry said Sunday’s fire appeared to have started on the second floor […]

Fire marshal’s report: Explosion accidental

PNT Staff Report The state fire marshal’s office says a natural gas explosion in a Portales home that killed a 91-year-old woman was accidental. Clytie Calton died at a Lubbock, Texas, hospital Jan. 26 — three days after she was injured in the blast at her home on South Avenue I Place. The office says […]

Zias lose LSC crossover game at Commerce

Freedom Newspapers COMMERCE, Texas — Senior guard Kanani Marshal and junior forward Katedria Mosley combined for 36 points and 17 rebounds off the bench and Texas A&M-Commerce went on a 24-6 run over eight minutes near the end of the half to pull away to a 79-59 victory over Eastern New Mexico University on Saturday […]