CMI staff The third-ranked Angelo State softball team more than lived up to its lofty spot in the NCAA Division II poll on Sunday. Sophomore Carly Peters homered in each game of the series and the Rambelles needed just 10 innings on Sunday to pound out 35 hits — 13 for extra bases — in […]
Freedom New Mexico Three new prospects have signed national letters of intent to play next season at Eastern New Mexico University under first-year coach Josh Lynn. The players are Noah Brown, a 6-foot-1, 230-pound fullback-defensive end from Valencia, and brothers Kendall Thompkins, a 6-4, 275-pound tight end, and Kameron Thompkins, a 6-3, 220-pound defensive end, […]
Since I grew up in legendary Cowboys quarterback “Dandy” Don Meredith’s hometown of Mt. Vernon, Texas, and hauled hay for his parents, it is illegal for me not to be a Cowboys fan. As a youngster, I rode 100 miles to a Dallas-Green Bay pre-season game at the Cotton Bowl with my father and his […]
Jan. 11, 1962: The Portales News-Tribune: Ads from Parkway Grocery: Coffee, 59 cents per pound; biscuits, seven cans for 49 cents; bread, thick-sliced loaf, 20 cents; 3 pounds Food King Shortening, 59 cents; Raisin Bran, 10 ounces, 25 cents; picnic hams, 29 cents per pound, Rancho bacon, 2 pounds for 89 cents.
The Portales News-Tribune reported that locals were reacting to prices of coffee when it jumped from 60 cents a pound to one dollar, but were not as reactionary as they were to the sugar prices two years earlier.
A 22-pound stone found southeast of Elida in 1972 by Ivan Wilson of Portales was a scientific discussion in Tours, France today. The stone is known as the Kenna Meteorite.
Freedom New Mexico SAN ANGELO, Texas —
Freedom New Mexico SAN ANGELO, Texas — First baseman Clay Calfee went 3-for-5 with five RBIs and Kenny Elkind pitched six shutout innings Thursday night as 25th-ranked Angelo State routed Eastern New Mexico 12-1 in the opener of a four-game Lone Star Conference baseball series. The Rams (23-8, 17-4 LSC) pounded out 15 hits, breaking […]
By Anita Doberman: Local columnist Women were first admitted to West Point in 1976 after President Ford signed legislation opening the nation’s service academies to females. For the class of 2011, more women than ever entered West Point, bringing the number of female cadets to 225, which is 17 percent of the class. This is […]
• Roosevelt County youth Kent Allison of Portales and Dwayne Chenault of Elida, sold their winning livestock in the Junior Livestock Sale at the New Mexico State Fair in Albuquerque. Allison sold his grand champion market lamb for $13 a pound, for a grand total of $1,209, and Chenault sold his grand champion Duroc barrow […]
Harwell David and Jaclyn Harwell of Las Cruces are the parents of a 6 pound, 15 ounce boy, Camden Reed Harwell, born July 31, 2007 at Mountainview Hospital in Las Cruces. Grandparents are Johnny and Sabrina Johnson and Jess and Judy Harwell, all of Portales. Great-grandparents are Kenneth and Nancy Williams of Portales, Samja Harwell […]
• A group representing the Roosevelt County Chamber of Commerce met with Gov. John Burroughs in an effort to designate Taylor’s Grove as a state park. • A three pound carton of Mrs. Tuckers shortening was on sale for 55 cents at Franks University Food Market.
• Portales farmer Bob White received a shock while working in one of his fields. While driving in his tractor, the front end suddenly fell several feet down. It was discovered that the tractor feel into an old well located in the field that was there long before White began farming the field. • A […]
• Twelve rail cars hauling potash and one car hauling anhydrous ammonia derailed at the Elida Crossing in front of the Worley Mills Elevator. • Mr. and Mrs. ernest Propes received the Yard of the Month award for July. The award was presented by the Portales Garden Club. • A two pound package of Lynden Farm French […]
• Doug Orebaugh was named the offensive football coach at Eastern New Mexico University. • Eastern New Mexico University senior Peggy Baca won an individual first at the St. Mary’s University Rifle Match that was held in San Antonio. Baca scored 197 out of a possible 200 points. • The Sunday special at Kentucky Fried […]
Essary Jeff and Jennifer Essary of Floyd are the parents of 9-pound, 3-ounce boy, born Nov. 19, 2005 at Plains Regional Medical Center-Clovis. Andrew Harper Allen Essary has sisters, Shelby and Ch’ree and a brother Chance. Paternal grandparents are Don and Linda Essary of Floyd and maternal grandparents are Wayne and Judy Waldrip of Smyrna, […]
PNT Staff Waylon and Lashona Harpold of Clovis, N.M. are the parents of a 9-pound, seven-ounce boy born on Sept. 10, 2005 at Plains Regional Medical Center in Clovis. Breyer Lane Harpold has one brother, Caxton Harpold. Grandparents are Vern and Brenda Harpold of Clovis, Linda Buchan of Lubbock, Texas, Jeannie Stone of Clovis and […]
Trayon Sam and Kim Trayon of Portales are the parents of a 6 pound, 10 ounce boy, born on May 3, 2003, at Plains Regional Medical Center in Clovis. Dakota Ray Trayon has two brothers, Samuel, 15 and Donovan, 3; and a sister, Samantha, 11. His grandparents are John and Sharon Goins and Epifania Melendez, […]