Can’t resist homestyle cooking

I arrived home the other night to my wife toiling intently over a hot stove. “What ya got cookin’ there?” I asked. “Real chocolate pudding,” she answered. I inspected her work and asked why she didn’t have any white bread heels in the pot. That really puzzled her and I realized my dad had never [...]

Still blessed with memories of Granny Lowe

Her name was Anne Haseltine Langley Lowe. She was my great-grandmother. She had 11 children, the second born, Lillie Anne Lowe Farrar, being my grandmother. Her daughter, Gladys Rosalyn Farrar Foster was my mother. My Granny Lowe never missed a service in that little Baptist church in Clarendon, Texas. Her sweet spirit and love for [...]

Jan. 18, 1967

According to the Portales News-Tribune, Fire Chief Newman Carter blamed an over-heated heating stove flue for a $2,000 fire that burned the roof off of one unit of the Miller Apartments at 712 East Braos at about 2:30 p.m. Tuesday afternoon.

Small fires extinguised at home, school

Freedom Newspapers Clovis Fire Department firefighters extinguished small fires Friday at a Clovis school and residence that caused no injuries, according to officials. An electrical fire about 11 a.m. at Marshall Junior High School caused by a malfunctioning stove was put out with a fire extinguisher, according to Clovis Fire Department Public Information Officer Karen [...]