David Lead’s film adaptation of Boris Pasternak’s novel, “Doctor Zhivago,” was showing at the “Scientifically Cool” Tower Theatre, according to an advertisement in the Portales News-Tribune.
White Line Fever, starring Jan-Michael Vincent, was showing at the Tower Theater.
By Karl Terry, PNT Managing Editor One of the taller landmarks on the High Plains and easily the tallest in Portales is coming down. The 300-foot tower at the old KENW-TV studios will be taken apart this week by Advanced Tower Services of Albuquerque. Work began Tuesday and depending on the weather, the tower could […]
• ENMU Greyhounds over came a seven point halftime disadvantage and after a nip and tuck battle came out on top of a close 77-74 count. • Julie plays at the tower starring Doris Day, Louis Jourdan, Barry Sullivan and Frank Lovejoy.
Jan. 25, 1963 The Comancheros played at the Tower starring John Wayne. Levi Jeans were priced at $3.88, size 29-36 waist at Criswell’s 220 W. Second St.
• Dr. H.T. Brasell, chief of staff at Roosevelt General Hospital was preparing to host 22 area doctors in the Roosevelt-Curry County Medical Society for a chicken fry. Brasell raised and fried the fowl himself. • The Greyhound basketball team was on a five-game slide as they dropped a game to Westminister College in Wilmington, […]
• Gamble’s was advertising a “Johnny Ringo Set” including to “fast-drawing six-shooters with leather holster and 12 bullets for $2.99 in a Christmas toy ad. • The Tower Theater was showing “I Aim At the Stars, The Werner Von Braun Story.” • The Monday special at Mac’s Drive In was a bacon burger with combination […]
• Though nothing was official the Portales News Tribune announced that Eastern New Mexico University officials were expecting head football coach Howard Stearns to turn in a letter of resignation. • Malice and Demolition Man were the featured movies showing at the Tower Twin. • A steak sandwich and an order of onion rings were […]
• Tommy and Brooks’ Foodmarket advertised biscuits two cans for 25 cents, eggs 49 cents a dozen and sausage three pounds for $1. • Humphrey Bogart starred in “The Enforcer” at the Tower theater and “Molly” starring Gertrude Berg and Peter Hanson was showing at the Yam theater. As a bonus, the Tower was showing […]